Access to the two gates of the Garden is provided by electronic key fob.
USING THE GATES
The NORTH GATE IS NOW FULLY AUTOMATED. When activated by a keyfob on the re-positioned keyfob pads (on the gate post on entering and on the new control cabinet on leaving) the gate automatically opens, stays open for 15 seconds, then closes. The opening and closing is at a stately pace, please be patient and allow it to open and close by itself. To avoid breaking the gate mechanism PLEASE DO NOT PUSH OR PULL THE NORTH GATE.
The SOUTH GATE does not benefit from an automated opening. After activation by a keyfob please manually open the south gate. The gate will automatically close on it's own.
Please use the gate on the northern side of the garden. This gate is fully automated and offers level access to the garden from the pavement.
There are no steps or obstacles on the pathway through the garden.
HOW TO OBTAIN A KEY FOB
Check below to see if you are eligible for Garden access. Ineligible applications will not be accepted.
Access to the Garden is regulated by the Kensington Improvement Act 1851 as implemented by the Garden Subcommittee. Two groups of residents of Earls Court Square may apply for keyfob access to the garden:
1. Garden Charge-payers, who have a legal right to garden access. These are all owners and long-term tenants who pay the Garden Charge with their Council Tax in the properties fronting the garden enclosure, i.e. the following addresses:
• odd numbers 17-31 and 51-69 Earl’s Court Square
• even numbers 12-26 and 30-52 Earl’s Court Square
• Herbert Court Mansions
• Matière Place (33 & 33A Earl’s Court Square and Flats Number 12, 21, 25 & 31 at 35-37 Earl’s Court Square)
• 10 Farnell Mews
2. Garden Subscribers, who do not have a legal right of access to the garden but may be granted a yearly licence subject to availability and at the discretion of the Garden Subcommittee acting on the vote of Garden Charge-payers at the AGM.
Council tax payers living in Earl’s Court Square outside the Garden Charge-paying area at the following addresses may apply to become subscription-paying key fob holders. No new key fobs are now being issued to Garden Subscribers until further notice but interested residents can be added to a waiting list:
• odd numbers 1-15 and 39, 41 & 45 Earl’s Court Square
• even numbers 2-10 Earl’s Court Square
• Northgate House
• Langham Mansions
• Wetherby Mansions
• Matière Place (except for the flat numbers listed in the point above)
• numbers 1-9 Farnell Mews
Garden Charge-payers: £60 initial non-refundable administration fee only.
• The fee for the first year is currently £285 made up of the annual fee of £225 p.a. plus administration fee of £60. The key fobs run annually from April 1st to March 31st.
• For those applying after October 1st, half fees will be charged i.e. £112.50, plus an administration fee of £60 giving a total of £172.50.
• There is no automatic right to renew a subscription. Currently the Garden Committee encourages renewals.
• Existing subscribers will be sent an email invitation in March to renew their subscription by 31st March. Renewals cannot be processed prior. As of 2024 we require renewals to confirm their continued eligibility by re-submitting their photo ID and new council tax bill for the next financial year. For example, those renewing in March 2024 for the subscription period April 2024-March 2025 would need to submit their council tax bill for the period April 2024 to March 2025. This can be done using the online application form.
• Failure to renew by 31st March will cancel subscriber status and lead to key fob de-activation.
• Subscription fees may be revised annually.
COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
Please follow the instructions on the Googleform. You will need to sign in to your Google account.
By submitting the form you are confirming that you have read and agree to abide by the garden Bye-laws
OBTAINING THE KEY FOB
Upon acceptance of your completed application, Council Tax Statement, proof of identity and fee, you will receive a key fob.
HOW TO REPLACE A LOST OR DAMAGED KEY FOB
If you lose or damage your key fob, or it stops working, complete the application form above and follow the instructions. You will need to confirm your eligibility for a key again.
• For Lost and Broken Fobs - A non-refundable key fob replacement fee of £60.00 is payable for both Garden Charge-payers and Garden Subscribers and is intended to cover the cost of deactivating the old key fob and obtaining and activating a new key fob.
• Non-functioning key fobs will be replaced for a fee of £30.00. The non-functioning key fob must be returned after submitting the application form and paying the fee. In the event the fob can be rebooted the £30 fee will be refunded.
You will be notified when you can collect your replacement key fob.